Friday, May 4, 2012

Tips and Tidbits I've Learned

For the 2011-2012 academic school year I served as a director for the Student Government Association. As a member of the executive staff I have learned some valuable lessons:
·         Consistent communication is vital
·         Stand by your brand
·         There’s always some there to approve of what you do
Throughout the year I have established many connections with my peers and the administrative staff at the University of North Texas. In order to maintain these connections I have connected with my peers on LinkedIn, and have begun to find the professional staff members. I always make sure to send follow-up emails thanking the professional staff for their contributions to SGA’s events.
 To make the networking opportunity more personal, I always mention how they personally helped me and how much I appreciate what they did for me as well as for my organization. By making the connection personal I believe it makes it more appropriate to ask the person about future engagements and recommendations.  One thing that has always been stressed from the journalism professors is that networking never stops. The connections you make can lead you to many others; it’s like a domino effect.
When it comes to maintaining your image standing by your brand is extremely important. No matter what role you play in your organization you must always believe in and support your brand. If you yourself do not believe and support, how can you expect anyone else to buy into your brand?
Always remember that you must also be passionate about your organization. Your target audience will feed off of your passion.
Last but not least, there always seems to be someone who is looking over your shoulder. On our executive team there is a young woman who serves as Director of Public Relations. Per the job description, she was hired to oversee all matters that could have an affect on SGA’s image.
·         Facebook
·         Twitter
·         Newspaper articles
·         Promotional items
·         Emails
·         Interviews
Throughout the year I observed that even though she had a good grip on her job, and did it very well; she still had to report to someone above her for approval. I thought to myself, “Our PR director is being ‘PRed’.”
I understand the need for ensuring that our organization is being represented in the best way possible, but is it always necessary to micromanage someone that was hired to do a specific job?
 Perhaps it is best because ultimately every member or staff of an organization will be associated with the brand of your organization. If my name is going to be known in connection with something, I would like for it be the best it can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment